Monday, September 5, 2011

Studio underway!

Last Friday Christopher was working on the soffit while Jason (not shown)
was working on the roof. Temperature: 95 degrees!!!


Tomorrow Christopher and Jason start Week 3 of the studio build. It appears they are just about where they expected to be at this time.
I think it's looking good, it's quite a presence in the yard however I believe it will be just the right size. I've ordered my Skutt Kiln after much deliberation as to what size to get from Bennett Pottery. The kiln should deliver just after I return from my family visit to Rhode Island. I decided to buy a kiln that is a size smaller than what Julie has but I think it'll be adequate for my needs.

I have been laying out a lot of money for all sorts of building materials, exhaust fans, etc. This has me a little stressed but I keep telling myself it will all be worthwhile and really nice in the end. It's actually pretty exciting. I decided to forego taking classes at the museum this fall since it appears I'll be busy enough getting the studio up and running. I also realized that I have gotten spoiled working on my own wheel in my own space. I'll just have to visit those people I will miss.

Tim and I went up to Ikea last weekend so I could purchase some shelf brackets I had seen online and counter legs for a side counter that'll be inside the studio. I have tentatively planned the layout of the 12 by 16-ft. space. Today I bought a solid wood (I think it's maple) table that I plan to use as a work and wedging table island. I got it for a good price from Borders bookstore during their liquidation sale. They will be closing in three days. (I'll miss Borders.)

Autumn in the kitchen garden.
Despite the 95 plus temperatures we had a few days ago, it has now cooled off. You can feel that fall is approaching and the garden has reached its peak. It was a great summer for my tomatoes, herbs, zucchini, zinnias and sunflowers.

On a sad note, Ben and Jerry are really having a tough time lately. Jerry's sugar levels have been quite erratic and at times he has had seizures, temporary blindness and trouble walking and eating. Of the two, he is having the most difficulty. Ben is now blind and has to be lead around. Both dogs are nearly deaf. It seems Tim and I may have to make some very difficult decisions in the near future. I hate that they age so quickly, it breaks my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a comment or need to contact me for any reason, you may do so by leaving a message here: