Sunday, January 16, 2011

It had been 40 years…


My friend Ami
This week I ventured to Chicago to meet a friend I hadn't seen since 1971. Ami had been a really close friend when we were in both junior high and high school in New York. Going away to college and living in different states, we drifted apart only to find each other on Facebook just this past year. Not knowing how much we changed was our only gamble. We each got our own nice rooms at the Knickerbocker Hotel near Water Tower Place. It had been my first trip on the Megabus, which turned out to be the way to go, a cheap and stress-free way to travel. We had a wonderful time catching up, dining, window shopping on Michigan Ave., plus we spent a few hours in the new modern wing of the Chicago Art Institute. We also enjoyed a nice dinner at Carnivale, a Latin American restaurant in the Fulton Market area. It was recommended to us by the grown daughter of one of my college boyfriends (small world stuff). We had a wonderful time and hopefully I will visit her sometime at her home in Madison, Wisc., when the weather is warmer.

A wood-fired pot I bought
from John Thies 
Also this week I got together with Tiffany (a friend and my dogs' vet) to check out the new studio of her and her boyfriend, John. Located just north of Bowling Green on Bishop Rd., they are creating Manabigama Pottery, what will soon be a wonderful ceramics studio complete with wood-fired kilns. John is a great potter and also the designer of the wood kiln at the 577 Foundation. It is my plan to rent a space there starting in sometime in late March or April. I am currently checking out prices and getting ready to purchase by own potter's wheel. Pretty exciting! Meanwhile, my ceramics class at the art museum starts up
 again on the 24th.

Another home improvement is underway in the dining room. Christopher is currently working on a floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall built-in bookcase. It is my latest brainstorm that he has been able to bring to fruition in our home. Tim has assisted in painting and I believe is equally excited about the project. Photo to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a comment or need to contact me for any reason, you may do so by leaving a message here: