Monday, April 25, 2011

Another diabetic dog… RI… new studio


John and Tiffany's chickens at the Manabigama Pottery Center

It never fails. Just before I am about to head out of town, one of the dogs starts acting out of sorts. This time it was Benny and our suspicion was confirmed, just like his brother, he now is diabetic. It's now a balancing act trying to figure how much insulin he needs. Excessive thirst, upset stomach, won't eat, hyperactivity were some of his symptoms. He's starting to feel better but is now sleeping a lot more. I should be grateful it didn't happen until now. It has been four years since Jerry started taking insulin and so Ben was genetically predisposed to get it too.

My 1.75-lb. lobster in Newport.
Note the plastic cup—my kind of
place to eat a messy meal
Just returned from Rhode Island after a visit with my mom and aunt. As usual, we did a little shopping and ate well. Just before I flew home, Gregg and Margaret came up from NY for a quick visit. I was able to see them for few hours before they took me to the airport.

While I was away, the potter's wheel I ordered was delivered to my new studio space. Fortunately John and Tiffany were there to receive it.

New wheel and shelves

Since I have been back, it has been so much fun setting up my new pottery studio. John surprised me and built a large, L-shaped work table and shelves for my space. This was so much more than the wobbly card table I had temporarily planned to use. All is good—the Shimpo wheel, so shiny and new, works like no other wheel I've used. Now if it would make me a great thrower, that would be a dream machine. Saturday was the wheel inauguration when I threw four pots in porcelain. What a luxury it is to have all my tools, pots and supplies arranged the way I want. Not having to pack everything up every time I work and being able to resume where I left off when I return, that's what a personal studio space can allow. Can't wait to get back down there tomorrow and the next day and the next…

My space complete with work table

Today we met Tim's family and others at Bravo's for an Easter dinner. On Friday I leave to see Bob, Terri and Becky in sunny Florida. Wouldn't it be nice if it felt like spring here too.
First pots to be thrown on my new wheel. Hopefully I will
be willing to show them again when completed

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a comment or need to contact me for any reason, you may do so by leaving a message here: