Sunday, August 29, 2010

All I need is plants!

Like he promised, Christopher finished the arbor, gate and fence project for my kitchen garden yesterday. It's just what I wanted. If anyone is looking for a great woodworker or needs some remodeling work, let me know and I'll pass on his
contact information. I gave him a picture of an arbor I liked
and he surpassed my expectations. The craftsmanship is so much better than my example. It is really sturdy with routed edges, wood plugs to cover screws, the arbor integrated with
the fence posts, and he did it so quickly. All the wood is cedar, so there is no bad pressure-treated chemicals leaching into my garden. When
it all weathers to a nice cedar gray. it'll look even better. I feel like
Bunny Williams!

This week I'll transplant some of my perennial herbs from my 577 Foundation garden to this one and finish the brick edging around the beds. I will also go to Select Stone this week, my favorite rock store, for stepping stones to link the brick walk and the kitchen garden.

In October, the garlic cloves will get planted. With my wonderful
bounty of Ohio native garlic this year, I've saved a few bulbs to perpetuate the garlic at both gardens for next year. (Thanks Vicki, the 577 horticulturalist, who provided me with the original garlic bulb.) Can't wait until next spring when I add some large pots on the gravel areas for root vegetables and other ornamental plants. I hope Vicki offers another $10 autumn garden class this fall. She gave out so many great flower bulbs as well. Anyone interested?

In my next post, I hoping Tim will have some new photos of my recent pottery including some that are wood-fired. He's currently busy shooting caskets, yes, empty ones.


That's Jerry scoping out the perimeter.
View from the kitchen door with Tim's giant tomato plants in the foreground

1 comment:

If you have a comment or need to contact me for any reason, you may do so by leaving a message here: