Wednesday, September 15, 2010

An early posting

This week was my first week of pottery classes at the Toledo Museum. The studio and the people are quite a contrast from 577's. There will be a learning curve just getting accustomed to their wheels, clay body, plaster bats and all that is new to me. I am looking forward to using and learning how to make a few new things such as underglazes, Mason stains and slips. Right now, I am focusing on working with surface design and color. I also think I'll enjoy some of the glazing effects that can be done in a gas-fired kiln. The people there seem to be more focused on artistic expression that making functional pottery. It'll
be interesting.

While I was there, Rex Fogt, the UT ceramics prof, walked through the studio. I asked him if he remembered me. He said, "Sure, you've taken class here before." I told him it was 1972 and that sort of surprised him. That year was his first year of teaching. I do think he may have seen me around there when I took printmaking classes in the late 80s.

The Walgreen's plastic neti-pot and mine. Pretty funny, eh?
I picked up a bunch of pots
I made at 577
this week. Among them was a
neti-pot. I thought
I should have stoneware version. I tested it and it works great. Not too many people have a
custom neti. Other pots I got include a set of 5 dessert bowls that are surprisingly consistent in size, weight and color. Yay!

Today the tree trimmers were back for a second time this year, this time taking out some straggly shrubs and branches and trimming back my neighbors' along the one side of the backyard where my neighbor's fence is literally crumbling. Since they have no plans to repair it, we decided to go ahead and install a privacy fence. Christopher also came by today and I hope he and his brother will do the installation. Hadn't planned on this added expense but figured better to do it in the fall than next spring when everything is sprouting. Tim already guessed that I am envisioning a espaliered fruit tree or two against the fence. (Chuckle.)

Ben and Jerry are going to the animal hospital for a 5-night doggy vacation this Friday while Tim & I fly to Rhode Island for a family visit, good food and relaxation. I'll post when we get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a comment or need to contact me for any reason, you may do so by leaving a message here: