Sunday, September 12, 2010

A week of nostalgia

Despite being retired, the holiday did seem to throw off even my routines this week. On Labor Day, I made flat iron steak on the grill, so I actually cooked on a Monday and not my usual Sunday. With it, we had La Brea Tuscan bread with my "own-grown" organic garlic that I cooked in the ceramic garlic roaster I made. I also made Cheryl C.'s peach pie, baked in, yes, a pie plate I made.

Oh and there has been lots of our homegrown tomatoes…not the sweetest we've had (Vicki thought it might be due to a dry, hot summer) but I still made lots of good salsa and sandwiches.

Got another commission job for a linocut print. My pottery/vet friend Nikki provided a great photo of a Great Dane perched on a chair. I liked the image so much that I would have tried doing it anyways. Coming up with a name for my prints is half the fun. Perhaps this one will be "Paws and pause."

Today Tim and I went to Black Swamp Festival in BG. Always a great venue, it was beautiful weather but the art is still not the caliber as seen at Ann Arbor's fair. We stopped in an art gallery right on Main St., owned by a woman I knew from a printmaking class I had taken more than 20 years ago. She remembered me, had seen my prints recently at Angelwood Gallery and would like to show my work. I told her if I can produce enough work I might take her up on the offer.

This week I decided to go through some boxes of old photos from high school, college and post-college days. You fool yourself in thinking that you haven't changed much until it's there in black and white. Whoa! I also tried to recall what happened when, where and why—it made me sad that I lost touch with some dear friends and it excites me that I might get a another chance at renewing old friendships. Thank you Facebook. So I posted some photos on my "wall" and the response has been fun. On the other hand,  I have been ignoring some "friend requests" and it makes me feel a little guilty. I figure that it's challenging enough to maintain contact with friends who are long-distance yet important to me. I have always been notoriously bad at keeping in touch.

So there's another reason for having this blog. I am trying to post at least once a week. So if you're interested in my doings, you can bookmark this…

Here's something I found this week that made me really nostalgic. It made me realize how much I missed in losing touch with this friend. It was sent to me in 1967 when I was at summer camp. It makes feel as good now as it did then. I sent this copy to her this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a comment or need to contact me for any reason, you may do so by leaving a message here: